How to Submit:
MIX is an immersive environment built from scratch by volunteer labor, usually in raw warehouse spaces. MIX has presented installations since 1991 and we are committed to showing innovative, interdisciplinary work that incorporate moving images, film, and video. The festival location is contingent on available real estate, so venue details may not be available until one month prior to Opening Night. MIX is a non-traditional exhibition space, unlike a gallery or museum, and our audience often touches and directly interacts with installations. Please consider this when proposing your installation.
Past installations have included works for multiple projectors, bicycle-powered video projection, inflatable habitats, interactive video, video games, internet-based work, bathroom installations, and more . . .
Past installation/performance artists include: Drew Denny & JD Samson, Ben Cuevas, Ethan Shoshan, Peter Cramer, Malic Amalya, Buzz Slutzky, Noam Gonick, Kate Huh, Larry Shea, A.L. Steiner & Chicks on Speed, Kenny Scharf, Alice O'Malley, Kadet Kuhne, and many others.
- Please complete the application form. Describe the work from a visual and technical standpoint. (What will it look like, how will it be experienced, and how do you plan to execute the set-up and break down)
- Include documentation (digital images) for existing work, or sketches and designs for work in progress.
- Specify venues that have shown the work before, or commitments for upcoming shows.
- Specify what equipment will be used in the installation, and indicate what you will supply, and what you need MIX to supply. Please keep in mind that our resources are extremely limited, although we will do our best to accommodate you. We can rarely lend more than one projector to each artist.
- Clearly indicate how much space your installation needs. Do you need a wall or walls? What is the footprint of your piece? How do you envision it being interacted with?
- Artists should be prepared to install & de-install their own work, and will need to be in New York in the days immediately prior to and after the festival.
- Unfortunately, at this time MIX cannot cover transportation costs for artists who are not based in NYC.
- A resume or c.v. must be attached to the proposal.